Wednesday, January 27, 2010

So Close, Yet So Far


My heart is still broken over the Vikings loss to the Saints on Sunday. I remember feeling the same way 11 years ago. It's so crazy how much this season felt just like the 98 season. Both teams were so amazing that I thought that there wasn't any way they wouldn't make it to the Super Bowl. Both seasons the Super Bowl is held in Miami. Both years we lose the NFC Championship in overtime. It's almost haunting.

I remember how much fun the 1998 team was to watch. Randy Moss was incredible and their offense was just ridiculous. Nobody could keep up with them. They seemed unstoppable until they lost to the Falcons in the NFC Championship. After that season I never really felt as confident about a Vikings team until this year. They put themselves back in contention when they got Brett Favre. People were skeptical and questioned whether or not he could stay healthy. They called him an old man and nothing more than an interception machine. Favre had more than enough gas in the tank and had a career year. He threw 33 touchdown passes and just 7 interceptions in the regular season. He also led the Vikes to a 12-4 record and a division championship. Brett Favre was the perfect fit for the Vikings.

The game on Sunday broke my heart. Not just because the Vikings lost but because I know that Brett Favre may not be back next season. And if that's the case, I'd like to say thank you, Brett. You didn't get us our Super Bowl, but you sure gave us one hell of a season.

No comments:

Post a Comment